HEAD TO MOUNTAIN PROJECT TO PERUSE AREAS NOT LISTED BELOW
Lander: Lander was known as Pushroot, Fort Brown, and Fort Auger prior to its current name. The town was named Lander in honor of General Frederick W. Lander, a famous transcontinental explorer who surveyed the Oregon Trail's Lander Cutoff. Several miles southeast of town near present-day U.S. Route 287 is the site of Wyoming's first oil well, circa 1884. The town was incorporated in 1890.